Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Reading Response #5

The biography of Chuck Close is inspirational on many levels. First, he survived a rough childhood filled with illness and had a misunderstood personality. Later in life, he suffered a health problem that almost took away a highly cherished activity of creating art. What I also admired was how he found a new way of looking at art - photorealism. It's fascinating how he took an artwork that resembled a photograph in its realistic details but added to the work in a way that no photo could. Thus, his artwork seems to be both normal and surreal at the same time.

Photomosaics have always interested me because whenever I look at the individual pictures/shapes of the mosaic, I feel that if I looked at the picture as a whole again, it would be unrecognizable as an overall image. However, this is not (usually) the case and makes them all the more interesting. I have also always wondered how much the artist has to work with the shades of color, the types of pictures, or even the pixel size to make the ideal photomosaic. Fortunately, I now have NetLogo to use to create my own photomosaic and experiment with these variables.

Fractal art is interesting because it uses a specific mathematical algorithm to make art and examples of it can be found in nature, such as in trees. This is cool because fractal art cannot be drawn by hand. And though trees may not be perfect examples of fractals, nature has been able to implement a form of this algorithm devised by humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment